Eight graduates of the Amos C. Sawyer College of Social Sciences and Humanities, University of Liberia have been admitted in the Society of Academic Honors having acquired honor in Academic Performance with Magna Cum Laude and Cum Laude in Sociology, English, Demography and Social Work, during the occasion marking the 103rd “Halakeh Meni” (God’s Doing) Commencement Convocation held May 29, 2023.
The eight distinguished graduates are: Jennifer M. Scott, BA in Sociology ( Magna Cum Laude and Valedictorian -Class of 2022), Francis Johnson, BA in Sociology (Cum Laude), Ada Leemu Sharkor, BA in Sociology (Cum Laude), Massan Jahwee Swen, BSW in Social Work (Cum Laude), Jumamah Jackson Kesselee, BSW in Social Work (Cum Laude), D. Wilson Kokulo Zawu, BA in English (Cum Laude), Mark Yeah, BA Demography (Cum Laude) and Eric Kolleh, BA Demography (Cum Laude).
The Certificate of Honor admitting the eight graduates in the Society of Honors is signed by the Dean of the Amos C. Sawyer College of Social Sciences and Humanities, Associate Professor Dr. Josephus M. Gray; Vice President for Academic Affairs, Professor Dr. Moses M. Zinnah and approved by Professor Dr. Julius Julukon Sarwolo Nelson, Jr., President of the University of Liberia.
The college has continued to confer Bachelor of Arts (BA) and Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degrees on its graduates every convocation and is the first tertiary institution in the Republic to confer degree.
The college also strives to be among the most innovative academic institutions and remains committed to empowering its students with requisite knowledge and practical skills vital to achieving personal and professional success.
It is important to note that the Amos C. Sawyer College leads in females’ enrollment and faculty with master’s degree and doctorate across the various Colleges, Professional Schools and Graduate Programs across the entire university.
The achievement as a leader of female students has been recognized by the Visitor of the University and President of Liberia, His Excellency Dr. George Manneh Weah who acknowledged this cornerstone achievement of female enrollment at Liberia College.
It is also worth stating that the Amos C. Sawyer College has received international recognition (academic merit from the University of Parul in India owing to academic excellent performance of Mr. Matthew Gonmah, a part-time faculty from the Social Work Unit has won an Academic Education Essay Competition among thousands of foreign students in the Indian state of Gujarat, Republic of India.
Mr. Gonmah is pursuing MA in Social Work at Parul University.
Other key accomplishments include:The establishment of the Department of Chinese Languages and Culture, and the Department of Fine and Performing Arts which have been granted the authority by the ACC and the Faculty Senate to offer BA degree. The College has introduced essay exams as a new method of evaluation of students in the final exams.
For the current academic year, Amos C. Sawyer College has 276 faculty members of which 242(88%) represents males and 34(12%) recorded for females. Out of the total 276 faculty, 121 (44%) represents Part-time faculty while 155(56%) recoded for Full-time faculty.
Further, the faculty breakdown for the period under reviewed shows 62(22%) representing faculty with Bachelor’s degrees. While 199 (72%) recorded for faculty with Master’s degrees and 15 (6%) are doctorate degree holders.
For the same period, the college offered 670 sections across the four campuses.